Sunday, February 12, 2012

Kid-logic

Keira: mom, is it more important to keep nature safe or people?

Baffled by the question and the root from where this question grew. I had no other option than to break the rules and answer a question with a question.

Keira, what do you mean by keeping one safer than the other?

Her kid-logical response went a little something like this...

Mom, I know we have to keep nature safe but we have to keep people safe too but why don't the people want to keep the nature safe?  A lot of the people act like they don't care about keeping the nature safe. Why don't they?

Keira, you're right. People don't always take very good care of our nature and it is very sad because nature is very important to keep us safe and all the other animals and plants. Every time someone helps our nature they helped themselves a little bit because we live in the nature. Even though we sleep in houses, drive in cars and work ("and go to school, mom") in buildings we still need nature to give us clean, healthy, fresh air, water, fruits, vegetables along with lots of other things. Maybe not all the people know about this or really understand it. You could help the nature by telling people how to help the nature or why to help the nature. It is very important to keep the people safe too though, because of all the people that help the nature and help other people.

I don't know if I even came close to answering her or providing any advice but I'd like to think it inspired her even just a little. This came completely out of the blue and it was one of those moments that I felt like she grew a little, both in wisdom and intelligence. In curiosity and wonder. In creativity, admiration, and appreciation for an environment and a world that stands for so much more than she can even fathom at this point in her life.

Kid-logic, every little one's got it!


"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better."  -Albert Einstein

No comments:

Post a Comment