Sunday, January 29, 2012

My sweet Mallorca


Today's project, satisfy my dull sweet tooth. By dull I mean a slightly sweet but fully delicious pastry or bread of some sort. Not long ago during one of my visits to Starbucks (one of the few visits that I got out of my car and went in) I discovered this curiously delightful little bread sitting there so quaint and pretty. I decided to give it a try. Mallorca Sweet Bread, was its name. It turned out to be just as delightful as my curious mind had imagined it to be. I was instantly drawn to the thought of making my own one day. (Of course! Would you expect any less?)




Well today just so happens to be that day! So after scouring the Internet I stumbled upon this lovely little blog "The Noshery"
(http://thenoshery.com/2009/08/19/mallorca/), where I found my recipe/experiment for the day. She seems very well versed and experienced in, not only the original Mallorca bread, but baking as well. Reputtable? I think so (especially since the second recipe reference from tasty kitchen.com turned out to be 'The Noshery's' recipe).


3 little egg yolks, waiting to be stirred.
 
I was up against a bit of a challenge when I discovered that I only had 4 eggs and the recipe calls for 6. Going to the store for more eggs was more of a chore then I deemed worthy for this particular project. Why bother when I could just cut the recipe in half? And that is exactly what I did!

The time spent on this fabulous little baked good was well worth it. During the periods of waiting (for the dough to rise) I was able to watch soccer ( Glory, glory Man United ) do some cleaning and play with my beautiful little Lily bug. Patience is certainly a virtue in the baking world. I've learned that the hard way. Don't rush the rising. I did, however, have some issues in the "rising" department but all in all I was quite satisfied with the results. Check out the pictures and tell me they don't Stun your Senses!

 
Once the bread was in the coiled up roll form it began to rise rather quickly.


Finished off with some delicious honey butter.


Please ignore my un-manicured fingers and marvel at the beauty of this sweet fluffy roll.


Thank you, Anthropologie!
  
And what good is baking
without fancy utensils?



Ciao!

(Thank you, The Noshery, for your inspirational recipe and blog.)

1 comment: